Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Cafe Iberico...beware the Diet Coke!!!

You walk into Cafe Iberico and the spirit of Spain surrounds you (as best I can guess, having never actually been there). My sister and I sat in the "deli" area, shelves of olive oil, vinegars and other Spanish foodstuffs towering over us. We quickly decided on a few classics such as tortilla, goat cheese in tomato sauce, etc. The service was efficient, if a little cold, and the food was solid overall especially considering the low prices and generous portions. The one thing that really marred the experience was my diet coke. Those who know me are scratching their heads at this point. Kent+Diet Coke?!! What sort of bizarro world is this? I rarely if ever indulge in sodas due to many factors (calories, chemicals...) but found myself craving a DC real bad! It arrived pretty flat (ok devoid of even one visable bubble) but I decided to not make any real fuss. At the end of our meal I got the check to find that two glasses of the cold brown sludge cost me $2.25...EACH!!!! Admittedly if I were really concerned I should have asked about the price or the refill policy so to speak but good God these are things I shouldn't have to think twice about. This is particularly infuriating due to the fact that Sangria is $3 a glass and the price of a glass of soda for a restaurant is literaly pennies. Of course I tried to brush it off but couldn't stop thinking about the whole way home. I left their establishment feeling robbed and that just isn't right especially in an industry based on creating a comfortable, content environment. I just fired off an email to them...stay tuned for further developments!

No comments: