Sunday, March 11, 2007

h mart...holy crap



This place is kind of amazing. Upon the recommendation of my boss, Matt, I decided to take a trip out to Niles today to experience this Korean grocery store/mall/eatery/etc...and trust me...it is an experience. The parking lot was packed nearly as much as the people inside. You are first greeted by mountains of fresh produce (everything from Korean pears to Japanese mushrooms to giant tubs of jellyfish heads! Be forewarned...this place isn't for the squeamish.). Panchan occupies its own department here with many different types of kimchi. A woman wearing a plastic apron and wearing big yellow gloves stood over a table covered in cabbage and the unique, spicy red seasoning so closely associated with the Korean side dish. The fish and meat sections are particularly impressive with dozens of varieties of sea life to choose from and excellent prices. I never knew there were so many different types of seaweed or noodles. One side of the store houses 6-7 small dining options from baked goods to dumplings. Really...if you can make it out there I would highly suggest checking this place out. Let me know if you want to go and maybe I'll organize a trip.

1 comment:

CatherinePark said...

Well, we go to hmart every weekend...
H-Mart in Fairfax really sucks. Believe me. I bought a beef soup and it did not have any soup at all but it was pure oil. OMG. I don't like H-Mart as much as I did before.